Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Golf Channel Amateur Tour...

I belong to the Golf Channel Amateur Tour. This is my 5th year on the tour, and love each and every event. There are a few stipulations to join. First, there is a yearly $199 entry fee (lowers to $179 in subsequent years)...This fee gives a neat players pack, where you get a shirt, hat ball markers, balls, rule book, and other things to help you succeed on tour. There is then a fee for each course you play. This covers trophies and prizes. Skins are extra, and are usually $20.

Once your are signed up, you are placed in your local tour. In the Cleveland tour, you can play as many or as few events as you want. Some of us even play events on other tours around the country, as you are eligible for them all. I play a few on the Pittsburgh tour on some of the courses I enjoy. Some people who travel play on different tours all over the country.

As you compete, you earn points (an Golf Galaxy gift cards) based on how many people are in your flight. All points go back to your home tour which is scored in a FedEx-style point system. I won my flight in 2007 and 2009, and lost by 5 points in 2008, so it can get competitive. There are majors around the country that you can go to for more points. All of the courses tend to be upper end daily fee courses, with an occasional private course thrown in occasionally. An idea of courses we will play in 2011 include StoneWater, Little Mountain, Boulder Creek, Sawmill Creek, Blue Heron, and Avalon Lakes.

It's real tournament golf - no mulligans, no gimmes, stroke and distance apply when you hit a ball OB, as well as announcing a provisional. It really focuses both your mind and your game when you know you have to count every shot. USGA rules apply, and there are officials to assist you if need be. There are 6 flights, and you must have a current handicap to compete.

One the best parts of the tour is the camaraderie. Because of the lack of sandbagging due to the strict adherence of handicaps, the flights are very competitive, and you tend to play with the same people over the course of the summer. I have met great friends over the years that I look forward to seeing every summer. It is a lot of fun. If you have any questions, let me know! I'd love to tell you about it!

By the way, I'll be playing in a Pittsburgh event this Saturday - at Olde Stonewall - A GREAT course designed by the same people that designed Little Mountain. I hope it is not too wet! Got a new Nike rainsuit for my birthday, so that shouldn't be a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment