Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Masters Week

Masters Week is one of my favorite times of the year. In past years I have coupled it with a trip to Las Vegas (for spring break), but I won't make it this year. I especially liked watching the Par 3 competition from the 19th hole at the Wynn Golf Club, that costs $500 a round (which I cannot afford). I do like to soak up the ambiance there, as it was ranked one of the top 10 19th holes by Golf Digest.

On to the Masters. It definitely is on my bucket list to get there one day. I have heard that it is beautiful, but much more hilly than TV makes it appear. I would like to see the azaleas, Rae's Creek, and the Eisenhower tree in person. I would like to munch on a pimento and cheese sandwich, even though I may not like it. I would also like to spend some money in the merchandise tent. I have "tried" to get the News-Herald to get me credentials - hey, I could write from there - but I was quickly informed that those are hard to get (just like the real tickets. I thought I would ask, the worst they could say was no - and they did)!      :)

Phil Mickelson seems to be the odds-on favorite at 7-1. Tiger is at 11-1. Phil and Tiger both have games that set up nicely for Augusta, but I'm not sold on Tiger, and the fact that he is still a work in progress. I enjoy the fact that the golf course seems to humble people, and that some people move to the forefront that had been in the shadows previously (see Larry Mize, Zack Johnson, and Trevor Immelman). I think Phil is benefiting from good karma over the Tiger Woods fiasco. While Tiger was having his infidelity problems, Phil was persevering and playing for his mother and wife, who were both fighting cancer. I think him being a good father and husband had something to do with his triumph last year, and he seems to have it moving in the right direction after last weeks win in Houston at the Shell Open.

I encourage any questions or comments you have about the Masters. I bet you know where I will be and what HD channel I will have on during Sunday afternoon around 4PM...

No comments:

Post a Comment